- Where do you go for a health problem you can’t solve on your own (family doctor, ER, urgent care, school clinic etc.)? Why do you go there?
- Do you have a regular doctor you go to for check-ups or when you feel sick? If you don’t have a regular doctor, why not?
- Do you think it’s important to have a regular doctor you go to for check-ups or when you feel sick? Why or why not?
- How could your doctor’s office make your visits easier?
- Have you had a bad experience with a doctor or clinic visit? What happened?
Intro: This week we want to talk about what healthcare providers can/cannot tell others about your health or healthcare (“confidentiality”). Text next to continue.
- Has any healthcare provider ever talked to you about confidentiality? What did they say?
- What do you think should be confidential about your healthcare? Why?
- Have you ever had a concern about confidentiality with your healthcare? Tell us about it!
- Does concern about confidentiality affect what you say or do when you are seeking healthcare? How?
Dates: 7/12/2017 – 12/30/2017
- Today we want to learn about how you use the healthcare system. When was your last doctor’s appointment?
- Who schedules your doctor’s appointments? Why?
- Who usually goes with you to your doctor’s appointments? Why?
- Who usually picks up your prescription medicine? Why?
- Do you wish that you were more or less involved in your healthcare? How?
Dates: 10/4/2017 – 3/24/2018
- How would you define “good healthcare” for people your age?
- If you were rating your doctor, what factors would you consider?
- Whose opinion should matter most in rating how well your doctor cares for you: yours, parents, insurance companies, others? Why?
- What would be the best 2 ways to collect your opinion on your doctor? (in-person, phone, text, email, online, paper survey, etc.)
- Doctors are sometimes paid based on the quality of care they provide. Did you know that?
- I pay. You pay. What the heck is a copay? When it comes to health insurance, what do you know about copays?
- There are also these things called health insurance deductibles. Tell us what you know about them!
- Have you heard of health insurance premiums? What are they?
- A few more quick questions. Do you have health insurance? What kind?
- If you have insurance, how do you find out what your health insurance covers?
Dates: 10/11/2017 – 3/31/2018
- This week we want to know what you would look for when choosing a doctor. What characteristics are important to you, if any? Why?
- Is it important that you have similar characteristics to your doctor (age, gender, race/ethnicity, disability, background, personality, etc.)? If so, what characteristics?
- When would being similar to your doctor be important? Specifically, for what type of healthcare visits?
- How would being similar to your doctor impact what you say or do during your visit?
- If you were in a situation where you felt uncomfortable with your doctor, what could they do to make you feel more comfortable?
- Telemedicine is when a doctor provides care for a patient when they aren’t physically together (like online, phone, or video). Have you ever heard of telemedicine?
- Is telemedicine something you think you would use? Why or why not?
- Have you or anyone you know ever used telemedicine? Tell us about it.
- What kinds of health issues do you think telemedicine would be good for?
- What kinds of health issues would you rather see a doctor in person for?
- Telemedicine is when a healthcare provider cares for a patient when they aren’t physically together (like online, phone, or video). Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, have you or anyone you know used telemedicine? Tell us about it.
- If you were to use telemedicine to see a healthcare provider, would you prefer a phone call or video visit? Why?
- How effective do you think telemedicine is compared to an in-person visit? Why do you say that?
- What kinds of health issues do you think telemedicine would be good for? Why?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic changed your view on telemedicine, if at all?
- How important is your eyesight compared to other aspects of your health? Why?
- Have you ever had trouble with your eyesight? Tell us about it.
- Have you ever worn glasses or contacts? If yes, do you still wear them? Why or why not?
- What are reasons why people your age don't wear glasses even if they need them?
- If you needed glasses, how would you feel about getting them online?