- How old were you when you got your first cell phone?
- Did you ask for your first phone or did you get it without asking?
- Why did you get your first cell phone?
- What do you think is the right age for someone to get their first cell phone? Why?
- What type of cell phone do you have now?
Dates: 12/27/2017 – 2/20/2018
- Bullying and harassment are common on social media. Have you or someone you know been bullied or harassed on social media? Tell us about it.
- If someone bullies or harasses you on social media, what would make you personally feel better?
- If someone bullies or harasses you on social media, which of the following would feel like a fair resolution: private apology via dm, public apology, deleted posts, banning them, support from friends, something else?
- If someone experiences bullying or harassment, which social media companies do you trust to achieve a fair resolution for you? Why?
- Have you or someone you know bullied or harassed other people on social media? What happened and why?
Intro: Can’t stop, won’t stop (using your phone)? We wanna hear about the downsides of using your cell phone.
- Have you ever been in a dangerous situation because you were busy using your cell phone? Tell us about it.
- Do you think it’s safe to drive and use your cell phone at the same time? Tell us more.
- What could you do to make your own cell phone use safer?
- Do you know what the local law is for cell phone use while driving? What is it?
Dates: 1/24/2018 – 3/20/2018
- Many of us spend significant time in front of screens (computer, phone, tv, etc.). How much time do you spend in front of a screen each day? Is this more, less, or the same as before COVID?
- What do you use your screens for?
- What do you consider meaningful screen use? Is this different than before the pandemic?
- Do you try to limit your screen time? Why?
- How does screen use impact other areas of your life?
- We want to know how you use social media. List the types of social media you use most.
- Do you find yourself checking your social media without realizing it? Describe the scenario!
- Have you ever felt like you should cut down on your social media use? What made you feel this way?
- Have people annoyed you by commenting on how often you use social media? Tell us about it!
- Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your social media use? What happened?
- Is checking your social media the first thing you do in the morning?
Dates: 12/6/2017 – 5/26/2018
- Almost everyone is on social media nowadays. What advice would you give to young people who are new to social media?
- Have you ever felt like you need to change your social media use (what you view, time spent, etc.)? Why?
- How does using social media make you feel? Why?
- Have you ever deleted or thought about deleting your social media account(s)? Why?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic changed your social media use?
- We are exposed to so much media (news, tv/movies, radio/podcasts, social media, etc.) every day. Have you heard of media literacy? What do you think it is?
- Media literacy is defined as thinking critically about media messages and their effects on us (fake news, body image, stereotypes, bias, etc.). What, if anything, have you learned about media literacy, and from whom?
- How media literate do you consider yourself? Why?
- One part of media literacy is thinking about who is represented in the media. All people have multiple identities (race, gender, sexuality, disability, etc.). How are people who share your identities portrayed in the media?
- Which identities do you want to see more of in the media? Why?