Gain hands-on experience with data analysis and communications as part of an adolescent health research team at the University of Michigan Medical School.
Read below for a description of the position and apply online here by Tuesday, May 6, 2020. Please note, we require a letter of recommendation from a teacher/employer/supervisor.
- Under-represented in Medicine: African American and/or Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American (American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), Pacific Islander, and mainland Puerto Rican
- Parents did not go to college (First generation college student)
- Qualify for free/reduced price lunch
The MyVoice project, based out of the University of Michigan, is looking for two high school student interns to work with our team of inter-disciplinary researchers for the summer! MyVoice is a national poll of youth whose mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of youth through text message surveys.
We are looking for highly motivated students interested in learning about health policy research and developing web and print media projects as part of a University of Michigan adolescent health research team. Experiences will include training in mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative research) and designing web and print media (like infographics, short videos, flyers) that help youth understand complex issues like health insurance, mental health care, healthy relationships, and the opioid epidemic.
As a MyVoice Summer Intern, you will help analyze research data and design media that communicates important health and policy facts to teens and young adults across America! We are seeking students who have an interest in health policy research and communications.
- Complete the online application, which includes:
- A short written statement on why you want to be the next MyVoice intern
- Creativity Challenge – Please complete this challenge, answering two questions and and uploading your completed design.
- Explore our areas of research and news. Pick a topic and come up with a plan for how you would market or communicate the issue. Please include a sample graphic, prototype, or design that you would create that would take our topic to the next level and spark conversations on social media. See below for more information. Questions about the activity, just email our team at email@example.com. We welcome your questions!
- At least one letter of recommendation: Letters of recommendation from teachers/employer/reference can be emailed to the MyVoice research team directly, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may direct your reference to our research page: hearmyvoicenow.org for more information about us.