We present at academic research and professional health association conferences around the world, and people often ask us: How do you do xyz? Whether it’s how we recruit youth to participate, how we deploy our surveys, or how we find the time and resources to analyze our massive qualitative data sets. In order to fill people in, we’ve published a protocol paper that outlines how MyVoice works, the methodology behind the project, and initial tips on how to launch and sustain a project like MyVoice–which believes in participant empowerment, cross-industry communication, representative sampling, technology-enabled participation, and what we’ve defined in the paper as “strategic science.”
Team Lead/Lead Author: Melissa DeJonckheere, PhD
Paper Citation: Dejonckheere M, Nichols LP, Moniz MH, et al. MyVoice National Text Message Survey of Youth Aged 14 to 24 Years: Study Protocol. JMIR Research Protocols. 2017;6(12). doi: 10.2196/resprot.8502.
Presentations and Publications
- Dealing with Large Qualitative Datasets and Rapidly Disseminating Results. William T. Grant Foundation Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research Workshop. Ann Arbor, MI. April 25, 2019.
- DeJonckheere M, Nichols L, Moniz M, Sonneville K, Vydiswaran VG, Zhao X, Guetterman TC, Chang T. MyVoice national text message survey of youth 14-24yo: Study Protocol. JMIR Res Prot. 2017;6(12):e247. PMCID: PMC5742661
- Elevating youth voice to inform critical issues among youth. APHA, Philadelphia, PA, November 3, 2019. (Presentation)
- Engaging youth in a longitudinal text message survey: implications for research and practice. American Association of Public Opinion Research. Denver, Colorado, May 2018. (Poster)
- Guetterman TC, Chang T, DeJonckheere, M, Basu T, Scruggs E, Vydiswaran VGV. Augmenting qualitative text analysis with natural language processing. J Med Internet Res. 2018;20(6):e231.
- Integrating natural language processing with qualitative text analysis in mixed methods studies with a large qualitative strand. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Mixed Methods International Research Association, University of Vienna, Austria, August 22-24, 2018.
- Use of Text Messaging Surveys to Elicit Youth Voice about Health Benefits: Findings from the MyVoice Longitudinal Mixed Methods Study. MMIRA, Vienna, Austria, August 2018. (Presentation)