Intro: This week is about trending body challenges: when you check to see if your body part can look a certain way (ex: thigh gap).
- List all the body challenges you know of!
- Where did you hear about these challenge(s)?
- Have you, or someone you know, tried any of these challenges? Tell us about it: who was involved and where did it happen
- What do you think about these trending body challenges?
- How do these body challenges make you feel about your body?
Intro: This week we want to talk about how you feel about your body.
- How do you feel about the way your body looks?
- If you could choose the way your body looked, what would you want it to look like?
- If you could have the body of any celebrity, whose would you choose?
- What have you done to change how your body looks, if anything?
- We want to know how things have changed since before the COVID-19 pandemic. How, if at all, has your body image changed? Tell us about it.
- How, if at all, has your relationship with food changed since before the pandemic?
- How, if at all, has your relationship with exercise changed since before the pandemic?
- Since the pandemic, have you changed your eating or exercise habits because you were worried about your weight/shape? Tell us about it.
- What have you seen people posting on social media about weight/shape during the COVID-19 pandemic? What do you think about these posts?
- Have you ever heard of the body positivity movement or seen #bodypositive? Where?
- How would you define the body positivity movement? If you haven’t heard of it, just tell us what you think!
- How does seeing a body positive post on social media make you feel? Why?
- Do you think that body positivity on social media is helpful or harmful? Tell us more!
Intro: This week’s Qs are about “clean eating,” an approach to eating that has been getting a lot of attention lately.
- Have you previously heard about “clean eating?” If so, how did you hear about it?
- How would you define “clean eating”?
- “Clean eating” usually means eating natural, whole foods, and strictly avoiding processed foods. Knowing that, what is your opinion of “clean eating”?
- Do you think “clean eating” is healthy or harmful? Tell us why.
- How likely would you be to try “clean eating” for yourself (1 = probably won’t try it; 2 = not sure; 3 = probably will try it)?
- This week we want to talk to you about eating disorders. Do you think eating disorders are mental health conditions? Why or why not?
- How would you compare the seriousness of eating disorders to other mental health conditions (depression/anxiety)?
- What do you think are the effects of having an eating disorder?
- How do you think people view others who have eating disorders?
- Most people with eating disorders never get treatment. Why do you think that is?
- We want to hear your thoughts about nutrition information on menus. What are some places you go to that have nutrition info listed?
- What information do you notice is listed and where? Text “skip” if you haven’t seen any nutrition information.
- Have you found this information useful when choosing what to eat or drink? Tell us more!
- If you could choose what nutrition information was listed, what would you like to see?
Dates: 1/3/2018 – 2/27/2018
Intro: We want to know what you think about nonprescription products for weight loss like dietary supplements, laxatives and diet pills.
- Do you think these types of nonprescription products for weight loss work? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is safe for people your age to take nonprescription products for weight loss? Why or why not?
- Should it be legal to sell nonprescription products for weight loss to people under 18 years old? Why or why not?
Dates: 8/16/2017 – 2/3/2018
- We’d like your opinion on how social media influencers talk about products like detox teas, diet pills, fat burners, and weight loss supplements. Have you seen posts like these? If so, what have you seen?
- Do you think social media influencers use the detox or weight loss products that they promote (never, sometimes, always)? Why do you think that?
- Do you think social media influencers promote detox or weight loss products that they actually dislike? Why do you think that?
- Have you used any detox or “cleanse” products (e.g. detox teas, gummies) in the past year? What happened (worked, side effects, etc.)?
- How about weight loss products (e.g. laxatives, diet pills), have you used any of these products in the past year? What happened (worked, side effects, etc.)?
Intro: We want to talk about how social media is used for advice/inspiration about health or fitness.
- Do you ever use social media for advice/inspiration about health or fitness? If yes, which platforms do you use (instagram, twitter, youtube, etc) and who do you follow?
- Tell us about a time that social media made you feel good about the way you look.
- Tell us about a time that social media made you feel bad about the way you look.
Dates: 3/7/2018 – 5/1/2018